Sunday, June 28, 2009

St Johns River plain

Coming back over the St. Johns River Thursday at twilight, the sun turned the marshes gold and a thousand white ibises took off in flight all at once. Maybe they were frightened by an alligator. The river basin looks so prehistoric, Spielberg used it as the background shot for the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park. And all day, everything I've seen has been so wet. The cornfields along the Okeechobee canal, the tree farms in the Redlands, the lakes and ponds along the long stretches of grasslands full of cattle. It's every shade of green and the air is full of the smell of leaves and flowers. It's so sensual. Wildly coloured clouds soar up so soaked with water they explode with sheets of rain and the air is charged until it flashes with shafts of electricity. The lush life of Florida penetrates my pores, fills every sense of me with a rich erotic connection to its untamed nature. As I let it wash over me , it cleanses me.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Hi Laurence

    Thanks for dropping by my blog. Great art and a good start to your blog!

    ReplyDelete